Wednesday, August 20, 2008

August 20, 2008 – Excerpts from Elder Larsen


I love the binder! Although the picture on the front, the one where my laundry is over one shoulder and I’m next to a statue, the caption said Elder Isaac Larsen with Joseph Smith statue, when in fact it was a statue of Samuel Smith, the first missionary in this dispensation.

Last week my companion mentioned I had been out seven weeks or so, which surprised me. I feel like I was born in the field.

Oh, I’m starting to become more organized. On the photo chip I’m sending home there is a video where I compare my desk with my companion’s desk. My desk is really messy, but now we live somewhere else and my desk and stuff, including hanging up my clothes, are neater.

My diet consists of a lot of fast food because we live so far from town. We can’t go back home to eat. It says in the white handbook not to eat lots of fast food because of money, but we got special permission from the mission president himself. But I think I’m going to pack a lunch from here on out to save money. I also discovered a whole new world of canned meat. Corn beef, yum!

Anyways, oh yeah, how’s your food storage? It’s only going to get harder the way gas prices keep going up, which brings me to another thought. A lot of people are buying scooters to save gas. The good ones get like a hundred miles to the gallon, no joke. It has to do with the weight force ratio. Anyway, I saw a man, he must have been 90 years old, going up a hill on a putt, putt scooter, and it was really funny.

Oh, did I ever mention I have developed a resistance to salmonella and other types of food poisoning from the bad habits I had at home? When I was at home, sometimes I would eat old food from the back of the frig. Recently, I ate the same thing as my companion, and all I got was gas and a few gurgles. He was in the bathroom, like forever, I swear. LOL. For a while he couldn’t even get the bike seat between his legs.

Oh yeah, pray for my stamina. We bike everywhere and the fast food is taking its toll. I weigh about 170 so I lost about 5 pounds, but I’m chopping wood tomorrow so I’ll bulk up a little. Chopping is pretty fun, but keep in mind they aren’t small pieces of wood. They are the width of a tree before I split it. After I split it, I’m lucky if it’s not sawdust because I’m so strong. Just joking, LOL. Ha, Ha. I’m just funning about the sawdust.

Pray that the drought will end. We are 15 inches behind and wells are drying up. Preferably pray it will rain at night so I won’t get soaked.

Look up online how to make hush puppies, and chicken and dumplings; mmmm, tasty!

Oh yeah, find out how much Cherokee I have in me because there is a reservation a couple of areas away. Oh, and find out what tribe of Cherokee.

Oh yeah, Mom and Dad, you need to rally the ranks and get everyone to send more letters. Oh yeah, next care package, just forgo the candy and send a sweet potato pie, mmmm goodness!

Hush Puppies Recipe
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/Hushpuppies.htm
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southern-Style-Chicken-And-Dumplings/Detail.aspx
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
http://www.suntimes.com/recipes/pies/572978,foo-nws-bhoney26r1.recipe