Monday, July 7, 2008

July 7, 2008 - Email from Elder Larsen

Life is good in the city of Marion. We got 14 new investigators this week alone. We usually get somewhere between 1 and 3 per day. So even in the Bible belt the field is white. The work is good, and I love it! There is nothing like it.

Still lots of dogs and no leash laws, but I’m getting used to it. The other day a dog was running after us when we were on foot, and I don't know if you know this, but you can't out run a dog on foot no mater what. I got nervous, but my companion just yelled stop! Stay! When it kept barking he yelled no! Stay! And we just walked away. It was pretty cool.

One thing I learned yesterday is that you can't trust your gut, just the spirit. The other day we knocked on the door to a house (we don't tracked often but we do, do it) and I made eye contact with the man one house down. He shook his head, which I took to mean, don't stop here. No one was home at the house we were at, so as we passed by his house. We talked and were friendly, but I wasn't intending to teach because we only teach people that want to be taught. I was wrong and he let us share our message, and we committed him to read certain parts of the Book of Mormon we gave him, and we got a return appointment, which qualified him as new investigator status.

Life is good, work is hard, fasting is tough, but the lord is watching out for us, and we know that as long as we are obedient that if anything bad happens it will be for our good; like its says at the end of section 122 of the Doctrine and Covenants. It is great to be here!